Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Junkman Looks at 40......

Went and did the pre-birthday ritual today of getting my license renewed and getting new tag for the old truck.  For the past couple weeks, I have been really dreading this 40th birthday coming up on Saturday.  I don't like birthdays.  I seldom celebrate them.  Birthdays are the time I reflect the past year and see what I've accomplished.  Usually, I'm not real happy about it.  This year is different though.  I've taken big steps and with a little luck, and some great friends (both old and new), I've managed to come out pretty happy about how things have turned out.   Looking back over the last 40 years, there have been some good times and bad times, some people have come into my life and some have left it.  And thanks to Facebook, some have re-entered it.   I am thankful for them all, because each one has played a small part in making me who I have become.  The little girl who used to complain about giving me a pencil every day has became one of my best friends.  I got to thank the best Second Grade teacher who ever lived and tell her how much I appreciate how she believed in me as a child.  I'm painting that memory very soon and plan on hand delivering it to her as well. 

Bring on 40....  I'm ready for it.  I'm already making big plans for next year.  Something that is very difficult for a "day to day" person like myself.  I am excited about the challenge.  Even though I'm growing old, it don't mean i'm getting mature.  I have always told people that i'm immature for my age though.  The last 40 years have been pretty good.  The next 40 years are going to be great!!!  The third 40 years, Lord willing, i'm not expecting a whole lot... but we'll see!!!! 

My goal for the next year came to me a couple weeks ago... "Ain't much happiness left in the world, and I got to do something about it!!!!"

SamG

1 comment:

  1. I probably won't see you this week end, so I wanted to wish you a very happy 40th Birthday. Enjoy this "young" age while you can. It goes by very fast. Hope to see you soon. LOL Dianne

    ReplyDelete