Sunday, January 31, 2016

Happy Anniversary to My Bionic Knee..... and me!!!!

Five years ago today, I had my partial knee replacement.  I don't remember what the actual procedure was called, but they sawed off the back of my knee cap, replaced it with a plastic piece and screwed some titanium onto my leg bone for it all to ride against.  There are some pretty good stories about my hospital stay and the recovery thereafter.  One of the best involves cops, a broken taillight, an expired tag, a dead dog, and a reasonable amount of alcohol.  I'll save that story for another day.  I want to talk about how that surgery altered my life course this time.

I had spent the previous five years working for an Auto Parts company travelling setting up and remodeling stores.  It was a job that I really enjoyed.  I worked a week, off a week.  The week that I was working, I could be anywhere in the country.  I've been many places that I would never have gotten to go if it had not been for that job.  Even got to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on company time when we were in Cleveland, OH once.

I've had problems with my knees since I was in High School.  A car accident in 1989 didn't help them any.  I'd had two previous orthroscopic surgeries.  Now it was time for the major one.  During my recovery I was out of work for four months.  I'd been making art for a couple of years by that time.  Art became a major part of my therapy, mainly because of my limited mobility, and to occupy and give me an outlet for my mind.

I'd become aware of changes being made at work while I was out.  Had pretty much found out that I was going to be laid off shorty upon returning to work.  So I made the decision not to go back to work, and make an attempt to become a full-time artist.  I won't say that I chose art as a career, I think that takes the meaning and feel away from the art.  Art to me is a way of life, a lifestyle.  I refuse to look at it as a job.

So i guess today marks the anniversary of the day that I became a full time artist.  I think I made a good decision.  It's been tough at times, but I wouldn't trade the freedoms and the opportunities I've had for anything in this world.  I am surprised every time someone tells me they are jealous of me for being able to live my dream doing what I want.

I'm ready to make more changes though.  I must have Gypsy blood in me somewhere.  Seems like it's about time to head off on another adventure, in a different direction somewhere.  SamG Spreading Love and Letting People Marvel at Perfect Television Hair World Tour!!!!

I always try to end these things with some kind of moral:  so this post's moral is....  "Don't do dumb shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment