Saturday, May 12, 2018

Thinking about Mama...

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  I'd like to wish all the ones out there a happy one.  I'm sitting here tonight though, thinking about mine.  July will be 20 years since she passed away.  It doesn't seem that long ago.  Time has a way of doing that.  Passing by before you know it.  I'm gonna spend a few moments reminiscing and sharing.  

My mother's name was Ruby.  I think she may have been one of the most loved people I've ever known.  She knew everybody.  She did her share of pouring out love too.  I could write for days about the things she did to help people.  

I was a "Mama's Boy."  I'll never deny that.  She spoiled me and every other woman I've known has had to live with that.  I've been pretty fortunate to have women who spoil me throughout life, now that I think about it.  

My mama loved fried chicken.  That's kind of an understatement.  She really loved fried chicken.  I ate so much fried chicken growing up that when I got out on my own, I'd refuse to each chicken fried on the bone.  Now since I've had the heart worked on, I can't eat it anymore anyway.  

Nobody made better sweet tea than my mama.  Don't try to argue with me on this.  Tetley tea with two big scoops of sugar and whatever magic she put in it.  I think we would go through 3 gallons a day.  It's got caffeine in it.  I couldn't drink it anymore either now.  

Mama had her spot where she usually sat most of the time.  It was the seat at the end of the kitchen table.  Most times, that's where you would find her.  If I tried to sneak in late, she'd be there waiting on me.  If I ever needed someone to sit and talk to, that's where she would be too.

My mama had her own brand of wisdom.  I never could get much by her.  When I'd come home late, she could tell me who I'd been with, and where I'd been.  I was a pretty good kid and never got into much trouble.  One night, about a month or so before she passed, we were sitting there at the kitchen table and I started telling her everything I'd ever done that I did slip by her though.  I think I told her about ever time I came home drunk and didn't get caught.  I told her about the girl that I thought I had gotten pregnant.  I told her everything. 

Most every time I think back to my mama, I picture her sitting at that kitchen table.  My mind always starts wishing I could sit there and have another one of those talks. I want that feeling of  just knowing that someone loves you and is willing to listen.  I want to hear some of that advice that only she could give.  Over all these years there have been many times that I needed to sit there, but I can't. 

Twenty years later... i still miss sitting with you at that kitchen table. 

Happy Mother's Day Maw...







1 comment: