Monday, October 16, 2017

The one about almost dying...

Today I celebrated my 47th birthday.  I have never really liked my birthday in the past.  I'd always get in some kind of weird funk and get depressed from my birthday all the way through Christmas.  This time I've actually been thankful for my birthday for the first time in quite a while.

I have told the story many times since it happened but have yet to write anything about it in detail.  Some of the facts may not be accurate, but I'm going to tell you the story as I remember it. On March 13th, I was working in my studio and came up to the house to drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette (the last one I'll ever smoke), and to use the bathroom.  I had done my business and was fixing to start on the paperwork.  I heard something in my chest pop.  It sounded like the cork gun I played with as a child.  It felt like someone reached into my chest, grabbed a handful of stuff, and twisted it.  I remember everything getting blurry and going black.  My first thought was, "I ain't gonna die on the shitter like Elvis."  I began to pray a simple prayer, "God help me.  Please help me."  I didn't know what was going on.  I kinda had an idea that it was heart related but figured it wasn't too serious.  I almost laid down to see if it would get any better.  My eyesight was getting worse.  I decided that I wanted to try to get in touch with Lorri at work.  I was in pain but I was able to tolerate it.  I was walking around with my arm fully extended trying to see my phone to call.  I called her every few minutes for almost an hour and a half.  I finally was able to find her daughter's number. They work at the same place.  I called her and told her I was in pretty bad shape and to have Lorri call me.  A few minutes later, she called.  I told her what happened and she came home to take me to the hospital.  When she got here I was pacing back and forth across the porch.  I got in the car and we left for the hospital in Demorest.  Upon arriving, I got Lorri to let me out at the door while she parked and I walked in by myself.

I was greeted by the lady at the desk and told her I was having chest pains and I couldn't see.  From there things started happening pretty fast.  I remember them checking my blood pressure and it was extremely low on my left side.  The doctor asked me if I'd ever been told I had a heart murmur.  I told him No.  He had them check the blood pressure in my other arm and there was a significant difference.  He ordered a CAT scan with dye.  He stood there watching the whole time.  As soon as I was finished, they rolled me back into the exam room.  It seemed like only a matter of seconds before the doctor came in.  I remember him telling me that I had a dissected aorta and that my aorta was leaking.  An ambulance was on it's way to take me to Gainesville for emergency open heart surgery.   I don't remember the words, but he pretty much gave me a good idea as to the severity and possibility that I wouldn't make it.  I called my brother Tim and told him what was going on.  I made a facebook post asking people for prayer for me, posted a picture, then turned my phone off and handed it to Lorri.  The ambulance came and I was loaded up.  I started talking to the guy riding in the back with me.  I remember him telling me about his father had some heart complications and how good the care was that he had received at the hospital.  I remember asking him to pray for me.  He said that he would.  I did have a little fear, but mostly I was at peace.  I remember thinking I didn't want to die because I didn't want to miss football season or the last two Star Wars movies.  I thought about wanting to celebrate another birthday.

I arrive by ambulance at Northeast Ga Medical Center and as soon as the doors open, I'm greeted by the surgical team.  Dr. Winston introduces himself and we joke with each other as we are going through the emergency room into the operating room.  I remember rolling into the operating room.  I was given anesthesia pretty quick.  During the time I was under anesthesia, I had the vision that I was floating in yellow water.  There were bright lights shining thru the water.  I could see other people floating as well.  We were all connected to this giant nerve network that I figure was what was keeping us all alive.  I heard someone call my name, Mr. Granger.  There was an intense feeling of water rushing over my face, as if being pulled through the water.  I knew I was going somewhere.  Where was I going?  Was I alive or dead?  Am I going to heaven?  I heard my name again.  I woke up to the sound of one of the nurses calling my name, Mr. Granger.  There were monitors and hoses and tubes everywhere.  I was alive!!!!  I remember my brothers coming in there.  I remember Lorri coming in a little later.  I'm so thankful for her and everything she did during all of that.  She made so many things so much easier for me.  I don't remember much for several days.  I remember there were really cute nurses in Intensive Care but I was in no shape to flirt with them.  I do remember so many doctors and nurses telling me that I had no idea how lucky I was to be here.  That I should have died within minutes. Telling me that God had something in store for me because I shouldn't be here.  Telling me that I'm a miracle.  I felt like some sort of medical celebrity for a while.

Over the next several days, I started learning more about what I'd gone through.  A ruptured aortic aneurysm and had been given an artificial aortic valve.  I started realizing the love and prayers and an amazing outpouring of love heaped on me by so many people.  I still cry when i think about it.  I'd like to thank everyone for those prayers, they worked!  Over the next several months, many shared with me the stories about what they were doing during the time I was in surgery.  Many prayed, some performed spiritual ceremonies, and several admitted to me that they were bracing themselves to hear the news of my death.  I also had quite a few tell me they thought I was pulling some sort of joke.

So I sit here on the night of my 47th birthday thinking back to that ambulance ride and the reasons I came up with for living at that time.  I celebrated my birthday today with Carvel Ice Cream Cake (i've always wanted one).    The Dawgs are currently 7-0.  The next Star Wars movie comes out in two months.  Looking forward to living some more.  Love you all so much.

SamG


5 comments:

  1. How good to put your experience down in words, and realize how valuable life really is. Glad it made a positive difference in your thoughts and actions. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always been a miracle. Now you just know it!

    Thankful you're alive and kicking my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you're around to tell the tale!I won't soon forget you and Bruce comparing heart surgery scars...
    you won!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, so glad you are around to celebrate another birthday & Happy Belated Birthday to you! I enjoyed reading about what happened to you as it was similar to what happened to me 5 yrs ago. You, my friend, are very lucky to be alive...so am I :) Ask me about my story sometime & I will tell you... Debbe (debbem032@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story! God surely saved you.Just amazing...I bet you cant really absorb its magnitude. Glad you are still here.You have a lot of love to give, so maybe you needed a new heart in order to give it all out...kind of like a heart extention. :)

    ReplyDelete